pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] where in the code would I address server I/O errors and

From: Heinrich Müller
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] where in the code would I address server I/O errors and retries
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 17:26:40 +0100

Am 14.11.2013 13:54, schrieb Rob:
I'm a QT programmer so I'm not too well acquainted with the gtk callback
structure.  I need to find the server I/O functions in the code to address a
problem with a non-RFC compliant usenet service.

It seems that a trend these days with the large usenet providers is to NOT hold all
content locally on their servers, but to onlyinitially receive headers and to only cache
articles locally when they are requested by a client.  This process breaks nntp fairly
easily if there is any substantial delay between the client requesting an article and the
provider going out and finding it.  I'm not convinced that pan is handling this as well
as can be.  Another concern I have is that when pan issues a GROUP command that the
"last" article number is invalid...meaning that way too often the server
responds with a 501 error code when chunks of article headers in the value group range
are retrieved.

In simplest terms I'd like to make sure that pan is retying some number of
times when a 501 error response is generated with downloading new article
headers.  My understanding is that header downloading would use the XHDR
command and download in chunks...well, sometimes the requested chunk generates
the non-conformant 501 error.  I want to check for this and retry when it
happens.
take a look at nntp.cc and task-xover.cc
nntp does the error handling and task-xover receives the headers and updates the internal data with new headers and stuff
on a deeper level, there are the socket-impl* classes.
On a related note, the regular expression capabilities don't seem to be
documented at all and I have yet to figure out what dialect of regular
expressions are supported when searching the Subject: field...or if the RE
functions are well supported and tested in the application.

I thinks it's a perl regex derivate.
Cheers.