pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Cache in Pan and binary files

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Cache in Pan and binary files
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 20:37:33 -0700

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 09:35:10PM +0300, Roi Dayan wrote:

> I use Pan 0.11.3 and noticed that when I get articles which are actualy
> binary files I just see sme text in my screen or just 2 lines sayin its
> a file.  But when I choose to save it it re download it. (BUG1 ?)

This is fixed in 0.11.92.

> Now when I lets say delete the file and then in Pan save it again,
> it re download it again. (BUG2 ? NO CACHE ?)

This is intentional, though if more people on the list have a problem
with this behavior it could be changed.  The rationale was that once
Pan's done decoding and saving a multipart post, the parts are flushed
from the cache to make room for the next multipart.  I can't think of
any good reason to keep them around.

The exception to this is for single posts with attachments, since
they're usually images and people may want to browse them in Pan
even after downloading them.

> Those bugs does not happen in Forte Agent for example.
> When I read a binary article it downloads it and I can do save 100 times
> and it won't re download it, its all in the cache.

If you've saved it once, what's the point of saving it 99 more times? :)

cheers,
Charles