pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] limiting number of downloaded articles

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] limiting number of downloaded articles
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 19:17:32 -0700

On Friday 01 November 2002 12:11, Alex Charyna wrote:
> I'm a new user to PAN, and I like to so far.
> I'm using 0.11.4 on FreeBSD 4.6...
>
> As a former Outlook Express user, the only feature I miss, is limiting
> the number of headers downloaded from the news server.

IIRC, PAN had this back in the 0.11 series, but I don't r/c where it was
located.  I know the 0.13 (GTK2) series has it. available in two places, by
right clicking the newsgroup name in the groups pane, and selecting "more
download options", and from the Newsgroups menu (same more d/l options
entry).

GTK2 PAN (0.12 and above, 0.11 was Gnome 1) changed a number of things,
including adding a toolbar back, that PAN 0.11 didn't have.  Upgrading older
Gnome/GTK 1 installations to GTK2 (and Gnome 2, if desired) can be a bit of a
challenge, however.  It certainly was for me, back during the 0.11.9x 0.12
betas, but GTK2 itself was newer, and in beta, at that time, and there
weren't prepackaged solutions for my Mandrake distrib, so I had to go fetch
and sometimes build my own.  I am not sure where FreeBSD is in regard to
GTK/Gnome 2 support, but I know newer Linux distributions (Mandrake 9, to
which I have now upgraded, and RedHat 8, for example) ship with Gnome 2
support built-in.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin