pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.13.2.90 keybinding question/poss. feature request

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.13.2.90 keybinding question/poss. feature request
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 11:57:55 -0700

On Thu 21 Nov 2002 16:24, Brad Sims posted as excerpted below:
> I know that pan now keeps keybindings between sessions, for which I am
> gratefull; but is there a way to restore the default keybindings short of
> zapping ~/.pan?

Try zapping the .pan/data/accels.txt file.

For some reason, probably related to one of the latest Mdk Cooker updates I
did, GTK is now refusing to let me change the keybindings from the GUI, so I
spent several hours yesterday first copying the file, then sorting the raw
menu-item<>hotkey dump into something approaching human usable organization,
then adding a table of all the keys actually used, then deleting the entries
for the stuff I don't use enough to need a hotkey for, freeing them for use
elsewhere, then changing and adding hotkey entries as needed, with several
copy back and reload PAN to see my changes so far as I went along.

Thus, I know QUITE WELL where this file is located and what it does, by now.
<g>

BTW...  A warning to anyone else attempting what I did...  As I learned back
in the 0.11.x Gnome 1 version days, since Pan used a similar hotkey memory
method back then, MAKE YOUR CHANGES TO A COPY, then copy it back as needed,
because PAN over-writes the old file -- INCLUDING ALL YOUR HARD WORK SORTING
IT, every time it closes and does another key-dump.  Thus, create your
organized copy AS A COPY, to prevent having to redo all your sorting, next
time you want to change something, and just copy over a new version of your
organized file every time you want to change something.

Charles...  MAJOR KUDOS on reintroducing this feature.  Had I tried PAN as a
newbie when it didn't have the feature, I'd have probably dumped it for
KNode.  Luckily, I tried it first when keys were customizable, and stayed
with PAN.  I am VERY glad to have that feature back!

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin