pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Problem building pan 0.13.2.90 on RH6.2 was: ANN: Pan 0.

From: steve
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Problem building pan 0.13.2.90 on RH6.2 was: ANN: Pan 0.13.2.90,
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:37:24 +0000

``Hexapodia as the key insight''

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 04:57:29PM -0800, Leonard Nutley wrote:

> Ok, I'm sure that I've run across this before, the def for
> bind_textdomain_codeset (here) is in /usr/local/include/libintl.h
> and it looks like the -lintl flag is set in the Makefile, so, looking
> in some notes from config hell ...
>
> try
>
> ./configure --disable-nls

No didn't work but:

> or maybe update gettext
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html
> http://www.gnu.org/directory/gettext.html

Yep, in a roundabout way, for archive purposes I'll explain what I did
here:

I got the gettext bundel from:

http://www.gnu.org/directory/gettext.html

Unpacked and installed this without any problems, here on this PII 266
'make check', took ages to run, so I let it run over night, because I'm
that kind of guy.

Next morning when I ran pan 0.13.2.90's configure script I got an error
message telling me that the iconv-detect was broken and that I should
update it (this had never happened before, the config script seems to
be missing stuff out/not reporting it correctly).  I got libiconv from:

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv

I installed this and ran pan's configure again but still got an error
message about iconv-detect, so had a good look around, I ended up adding
/usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and was surprised that it wasn't
already there, I've been using this box since April with no problems
apart from building pan.  I ran /sbin/ldconfig as root, logged out of
the session and logged back in and ran pan's configure script again,
this time no errors (but I wansn't getting configure script errors
either before installing the gettext libraries), pan compiled and
installed without any problems.

A real nice newsreader, but the single click action sucks big time when
you're only on a slow dial up connection, I think I'll be going bak to
an earlier version that only selects a message with a single click, not
start downloading it regardless of weather or not you're already
trying to downloading something else.

Thanks for the help with the build problem.

--
%HAV-A-NICEDAY                    email mailto:address@hidden
Steve                                web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/