pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Organizing Subscribed Newsgroups

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Organizing Subscribed Newsgroups
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 14:18:18 -0700

On Sat 14 Dec 2002 14:48, Martin Gallant posted as excerpted below:
> The XNews reader in Windoze has a swell feature where subscribed groups
> can be organized into folders.
>
>          <http://xnews.newsguy.com/manual.html#subsfolder>
>
> Is there a trick to do something similar in pan?
> Could you kindly add this items to the wish-list?

I think it's already on the list...  Meanwhile, something that works pretty
well in many cases is simply creating additional servers.  There's nothing
saying you can't have several logical servers all pointed to the same
physical server address, and since you can then rename the logical servers as
desired, it works fairly well for organizing groups into "folders".

There are two main limitations.  The first is that you are limited to one
level deep -- there's no way to nest folders w/i folders.

Second, you may then have to alter your connection habits and/or allowed
connections per server, if the physical server in question limits the number
of connections.  For example, my ISP, Cox, limits connections to 4 per server
(@384kbps/connection, 3 servers, yielding a total of 1.5Mbps/server, 4.5Mbps
total, except that the cable modem is capped at 3Mbps, so that's as fast as
we can d/l).   If I was aware of only the one server, and had all my
"folders" pointed at it, I couldn't use 4 connections to each "folder"
(logical server in PAN).  However, since they have more than one physical
server, I point the various logical servers at different physical servers,
and then choose the logical servers I run at the same time such that I don't
run more than 4 connections to any one real Cox server.

Anyway, it works pretty good, here.  I developed the technique of splitting
physical servers into various logical servers for organizational purposes
back on MSWormOS when I was using OE, and it works even better in PAN, since
PAN handles multiple connections **FAR** better than OE did.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin