pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Which Pan versions doesn't require GTK+ v1.2.10 and high

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Which Pan versions doesn't require GTK+ v1.2.10 and higher?
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:35:54 -0600

On 2002.12.20 03:40:15 -0600 Phillip Pi wrote:

I have an old remote Red Hat Linux that a friend runs. I would like to
compile Pan to whatever latest version that requires GTK+ v1.2.9 or
less.
I have no root access nor can the libraries upgraded (not my box) by
administrator. I am limited. The current version installed is
v0.9.5-1.
Is there a newer one that I can compile with yenc support?

If you want to try the GTK+ 2.0 version of Pan without privileges you can get it as part of the "garnome" GNOME 2 test-drive kit, http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/

It will require a fast link to download all the components and quite a bit of disk space to build as well.

If you just want Pan change this instruction given at the link above:

        cd meta/gnome-desktop/
        make install

to:

        cd gnome/pan/
        make install

It will still have to download and build lots of libraries, but it will take much less space and download time than building the entire gnome-desktop.

If you want GTK+ 2.0 themes you will also want to install gnome/gnome-themes/ and possibly a couple of other directories named gnome/*-theme/

By default it installs everything in ~/garnome, so you don't need privileges to install it.

The most recent release of garnome will always build a version of Pan that is several weeks old, but it's not too hard to hack to make it build 0.13.3 instead, if that's what you want.

Good luck,
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas