pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Yet Another Feature Request.

From: Johan Ovlinger
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Yet Another Feature Request.
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:26:18 -0500

First an idle curiosity: can I read this list over nntp? Using mail
for discussion of a news reader seems... wrong somehow.

Quoth Jeff:
  Maybe a flag to turn the reserved connection on/off and to allow the
  user to change the priorities (sequence of downloading) would be
  nice. If the connection is reserved, do not put new articles first,
  and if not reserved do put them first.

I like the invariant that conncetions eat from the top-of-queue. I
also like the idea that interactive tasks should [optionally] get a
reserved connection.

However, it would be really cool if we could sort the queue by various
criteria: order queued, date of posting (since exipiry is hard to
guess -- however, most binary groups on a server will expire at the
same rate(?)), or score.  Add a new option to the save dialog: top,
bottom, and sorted, to insert tasks where they should be according to
the sorting criteria.

The big problem I see with this is that sorting is a global action. If
we manually reorder the queue, and then accidentally resort it, our
order is gone.  It would also have strange interactions with inserting
tasks at their "sorted" positions. Where is that in a queue that is no
longer sorted due to user interaction?