pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] "missing" articles

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] "missing" articles
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:14:46 -0700

On Tue 18 Mar 2003 16:03, Brian Morrison posted as excerpted below:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:08:14 -0700 in
> address@hidden Duncan <address@hidden>
>
> wrote:
> > Actually, it doesn't even see them, because it doesn't check for them
> > again.  All it checks for is after the last number it read..
> > Therefore, it doesn't even know they are there, TO display to you.
>
> The only way to make this work properly is to identify articles by ID
> rather than by Xref: header....

.. Which is what for example BNR2 and other "virtual server" products must do,
since they combine many physical servers with potentially different xref
article numbering.

Of course, as I recognize your name from the list, I'm sure this isn't news to
you, but for others following this...  PAN is intended to have this ability
some time in the future.  However, it's slated for introduction after the
switch to a different database type and scheme, making the implementation far
easier.

.. Just took a look at the current roadmap.  Of course, 0.14 as we know is to
include slrn style scoring as we are now beta testing.  It looks like 0.15 is
slated to get GUI-less PAN for cron/scheduled downloading, and FINALLY at
least simple binary attachment posting.  Those are indeed important
developments.  However, I don't see any mention of the db switch on the
roadmap, yet, tho that in itself might not be mentioned, as it'd be back-end,
in prep for virtual server support, later.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin