pan-users

[Pan-users] How to read news in Japanese with 0.14.0?

From: Himanshu J. Gohel
Subject: [Pan-users] How to read news in Japanese with 0.14.0?
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 14:50:29 -0400

Hi all,

I'm testing a version of Pan 0.14.0 built by the SGI team, and they have
apparently worked through/around the problem of configure not working
(see my last post to the list, subject "configure error with iconv - no
ISO-2022 support?").

So I'm wondering how I can read these groups with the proper font and
encoding settings:

Server: news.microsoft.com
Group : microsoft.public.jp.outlook
Group setting: Encoding set to Japanese ISO-2022-JP
Pan Preferences - Font set to "sans 11" for body.

The thing is, that even though the post is made using iso-2022-jp, Pan
is still using sans-11 to display it and thus I see no Japanese
characters.

My SGI IRIX 6.5.20m box has several Japanese fonts installed - I use
them in Netscape to read the same newsgroup.  How do I set this up
correctly?  Seems to me that for each character set, Pan should allow a
font spec, whereas right now I can only specify a global font!

BTW, if anyone else is interested in beta testing this pre-compiled
version 0.14.0, download it from here (Charles, this is not an official
build):

ftp://shell.sgi.com/collect/freeware/

--
Himanshu Gohel, mailto:address@hidden