pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] RPM RH9

From: Steven Ellis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] RPM RH9
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:40:26 -0700 (PDT)

--- Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <address@hidden>
wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 09:07:20PM +0200, Peter
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Hello All
> > Stupid question :-)
> > Will the RH9 RPM work with a RH8 system?
>
> haven't tried, but probably not. RH major numbers
> are generally based on
> different glibc releases; and while you might be
> able to use an old package
> on a new system, new packages generally won't work
> on an older system.
> (tho for minor numbers you're usually OK; i.e. RH7.3
> packages work on a 7.2
> system.)

The other way around usually works. My homebuild RH
7.2 RPMS worked on 7.3 and on 9.0. BUT.. I had a
strange memory leak on 7.2/3 that went away under
9.0.. Just to be really safe I rebuilt the RPM for 9.0
so it had true support for RH 9.0's updated libraries.

Steve

=====
--
If you listen very carefully you can sometimes hear the dolphins sing

address@hidden