pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ANN: 0.14.0.91 "Time to repress another memory"

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ANN: 0.14.0.91 "Time to repress another memory"
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:36:29 -0700

>> | Paul Johnson | When plonking an author, remove their articles
>> from the header pane.
>
> Does this refer to the "plonk author" menu item that generates a
> scorefile for the current article's author?
>
> If so, then not everyone finds this behavior desirable.  I like to
> colorize the articles or mark them read, but removing them makes for
> confusing faux threading.  It would be best to separate scoring from
> deletions, and let an optional filter do any desired deletions for low
> scorers.

Well, I was maybe being too loose with language here.  A more accurate
phrasing would be, "when changing the scorefile, have the new scores
apply to the users' filters.".  Since the default filter setting in the
Filter menu is to _not_ show articles with scores of -9999, articles by
default aren't shown.

If you like seeing articles with that score, you can turn that
filter on.

> (BTW, the "plonk author" menu item is a misnomer.  It is also useful
> for scoring authors up.  Maybe change it to "score author" or
> something?)

I've noticed that too -- recently I've been using plonk to watch
authors, rather than ignore them.  I thought of changing it to
`watch author' and `ignore author' for symmetry with watch/ignore
thread ... opinions?

--
cheers,
Charles