pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Did I miss an option somewhere?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Did I miss an option somewhere?
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 00:01:15 -0700

On Wed 23 Jul 2003 07:19, John Aldrich posted as excerpted below:
> It is my understanding that PAN does not talk to more than one server at a
> time. This may change in the future when PAN has a "virtual" server built
> in (i.e. a database that it can use to store messages and download
> headers/messages to.) At least that's the way I understand it.

Pan CAN talk to more than one server at a time, but doesn't, by default.  IOW,
the way it's set up now, it only sees the current server, unless you set it
up to d/l something, then switch servers, and set that up to d/l.  THEN, it
will continue with as many connections as configured to each server, until
the tasks for that server are completed.  Thus, if one wants to work on
multiple servers at one time, one can, but only by manually switching servers
and setting up d/ls on more than one at a time.

This is set to eventually change.. as you mentioned, but any such changes are
currently on hold pending a back-end rewrite to make use of SQLite or similar
library for more advanced databasing, which will TREMENDOUSLY simplify the
process of getting all those servers and groups to work together, when
virtual groups and virtual servers ARE finally added.  Last time I looked at
the roadmap, it didn't mention it b4 1.0, however, so when this back-end
rewrite might happen and when these fancy features will be added remains to
be seen.

FWIW, tho it's closed source AFAIK, and dependent on a closed source Borland
Delphi/Kylex development environment even if not, BNR2 sets the mark in this
area both on MSWormOS and on Linux at this time.  For some time, they'd let
the Linux port stagnate, but they just recently brought it back in line with
the MSWormOS version and seem to be developing for both again, according to
reports in my ISP's newsgroups.  For me, however, PAN does what I need, and
tho it'd be nice to have those features, I'll take PAN as is and continue to
support open source, doing my part to encourage PAN to get there in its own
time, even if I don't do C development personally, at least not yet.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin