pan-users

[Pan-users] Pan 0.14.2 crash problem

From: Calin A. Culianu
Subject: [Pan-users] Pan 0.14.2 crash problem
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:45:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, I am experiencing a very annoying crash with Pan.  I queued a
particular set of attachements to be downloaded from an alt.binaries
newsgroup and I left it running overnight.  When I came back the next day,
Pan was crashed and there was a big fat core file sitting there.

The core file was _huge_!  193880064 bytes (that's about 193 MB!).. and,
the crash was in a malloc() call inside libpango which was called from
status-item-view.c::string_shorten_nolock().

My question is: do any of you guys experience any such random crashes with
Pan?  Also, would anyone be interested in seeing this core file to try and
debug the crash?

I have had Pan crash a lot on me lately and it would be nice to resolve
these stability issues... unless there's something I did wrong (I did
compile libpango with "-O3 -march=athlon-xp").

BTW, the core file for pan is good -- I compiled pan 0.14.2 on my gentoo
linux 1.4 system with debugging symbols turned on, no optimizations, and
"-march=athlon-xp"... any takers for this huge core file?

-Calin