pan-users

[Pan-users] Bug 117496 : 502 Error (Socket problems)

From: Christopher S Horler
Subject: [Pan-users] Bug 117496 : 502 Error (Socket problems)
Date: 31 Dec 2003 12:41:18 +0000

I was going to submit a new bug report, but I noticed this one (117496).
However it doesn't like the idea of me changing a number of fields I'd
like to.

I'd be grateful if someone with a greater knowledge of socket
programming could please comment on this.

I have seen 502's (max num connections exceeded)

I did a fair amount of investigation to find the cause of this.
Using netstat I get things like the following (tidied foreign
addresses for clarity).

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address     Foreign Address   State
tcp        0      0 192.168.0.2:32973 uk.clara.net:nntp ESTABLISHED
tcp        0     18 192.168.0.2:32971 uk.clara.net:nntp FIN_WAIT1

Watching the connection, what appears to happen is this.  The
connection stops receiving data mid transmission (unknown why), at
this point pan calls close on the socket.  The socket enters
FIN_WAIT1 but still has data in the send-q.  The socket remains in
this state until the server sends FIN to the client or the socket
times out on the server (or the client end - 60 secs on Linux)