pan-users

[Pan-users] Sorting threads to indicate recent activity

From: Dr. Beverly Crusher
Subject: [Pan-users] Sorting threads to indicate recent activity
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:33:16 -0500

Hello,

I've been very happy using Pan to read mailing lists made available via
the mail-to-news service offered by GMane (http://www.gmane.org).  I've
found reading discussion through either mail or an NNTP interface to be
faster and more pleasant an experience than messing around with web
messageboards.  There is one thing they do, though, that I wish I could
mimic with Pan.

As threads receive new posts, they are resorted, with those receiving the
most recent activity being placed at the top of the pile.  I like to read
discussions showing both read and unread messages in Pan, so that I have
context as I read new messages.  Since Pan sorts the threads in a group
relative to each other based upon the first post (or effectively the
*oldest* date in a thread), there is a tendency for long running threads
to become lost, even when they receive new posts.

Is there any way, whether through scoring, feature request, or something
else that I'm not thinking of, to sort the threads relative to one another
based upon the most *recent* date within?  This would effectively keep
threads receiving activity at the top (or bottom, depending up preference)
of the pile, while also keeping the context of the other messages intact.

Mutt can already do this, but of course, I can't make use of the benefits
of Gmane's archive that way.

Thanks for any insights!