pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] To make PAN behave exactly like Agent

From: Ilyak Kasnacheev
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] To make PAN behave exactly like Agent
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:46:29 +0400

Barthel aus Pennswald wrote:

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 13:36 +0400, Ilyak Kasnacheev wrote:
** articles should be saved. not 'cached', i want every article that i get to stay in message base forever. I don't know if there is a way to have articles saved when they are loaded, but you can save articles by having them selected and then doing a ctrl-s and check "Save Text."
Hm, "manual sunrise"...
I just need that messages that i download stay in newsgroup forever and never expire or get deleted. Preferably if newsgroup with 20000 messages inside still would be fast and operable.
I believe this was discussed frequently in the past. What you want is
basically a local news server to maintain the newsgroups you're
interested in. Have you looked at leafnode?
I don't like this idea for some reasons.

I am on dialup, and i don't really see consistent method of using local newsserver without several pain,
'cause i may need either:
1) Check new messages after i dialed in.
2) Do not check new messages after i dialed in.
3) Check new messages in some random moment.

and with local newsserver, there will be mess with
tell local server to grab messages - wait for it to get them via 2kb/sec - tell pan to get them - tell local sever to check in again - wait - tell pan to get them again...

This is again Syndrome of Manual Sunrise.

Also, will search work well in case that messages stored in leafnode?

Also, it is very easy to run out of inodes :-/

P.S. There are plans to implement articles storage in some SQL database? I may wish to contribute there.