pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Using Newspost With Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Using Newspost With Pan
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:30:26 -0700

Old Rocker posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:07:36 +0100:

> I know the received wisdom is to use newspost for posting to newsgroups,
> but is there an option within Pan to call newspost for the purpose?  I
> can't find one anywhere.
>
> If there isn't, could one be included?  Both Knewspost and Gnewspost
> seen to be redundant so it would be nice to have an option within Pan
> to post to newsgroups.

I assume you mean for posting binaries, as that's the implication, tho you
don't make it explicit..

There isn't a direct way to call a binary poster, no.  One could rig up a
script that would take a text post and prompt for a binary to attach, then
attach it.  One could then put this script in the external editor slot in
preferences, so it would be invoked by calling the external editor.  I
don't know that this has yet been done, altho I know a similar solution
was worked up for gpg signing and/or encrypting, at some point, and has
been mentioned here a couple times.

Here, I happen to use KDE as my desktop of choice anyway (with PAN and
XMMS being about the only two non-KDE desktop apps I regularly use), and I
have kdepim merged for kmail, so I simply invoke knode when I want to post
an attachment or two.  If it was going to be more than that, I'd install
newspost (and likely knewspost), for its batch-posting abilities.  It
really doesn't have to be linked functionally, since batch posting
is rather an independent activity from text replying or downloading,
anyway.

At some point, if nobody else does it first, I'll probably create an
invokable script of my own for the purpose of posting trivial quantities
of binaries, if PAN doesn't develop the functionality before I get to it.
However, it could be a year or more before I ever find that irritating me
enough to do something about it.

(OTOH, I've also been thinking I need to go take a closer look at where
knode is headed, and see if there is any likelihood it'll ever support
yEnc and a few other features I find PAN indispensable for.  It could be
I'll eventually switch, if PAN development doesn't pick up again at some
point.  Or.. maybe I'll get serious about learning C and get into PAN
development directly, myself.  In any case, the current situation with PAN
and I and posting, in addition to serious scoring on other than
a few select overview headers, is long-term unstable, but it might take
awhile for me and it to get to the point where it changes.)

Benjamin Franklin