pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: how to reduce connectino limit

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: how to reduce connectino limit
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:23:34 +0000 (UTC)

<address@hidden>        <address@hidden> <address@hidden>
x86_64) (KHTML, like Gecko))

Hamilcar Barca <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 22:31:41 +0000, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:22:22 -0700 in cmr5cs$7ds$1 <at> sea.gmane.org
> > Hamilcar Barca <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >>  Is there a way for a user to raise it or is the four-connection limit
> >>  in the source code?
> >>
> > The limit is part of the GNKSA accreditation that Pan has[]
>
> It's not in any way important, although I wanted to raise it.
>
> > You are free to modify it yourself, it's a #define statement I think.
>
> I've gotten to like Debian's package system so much, I don't want want to
> compile anything I can get as a package (except the Linux kernel).

There is a semi-usable workaround, as PAN comes.

Configure a second (or more) server, but point it at the same server address.
Vwalla!  8/12/16/whatever number of connections, depending on the number of
servers you have set up!

If your news usage is such that it's convenient, for instance, if you do both
music and movie groups, and you d/l enough from both so it's a decent split,
splitting the subscribed groups by category can be useful, altho it means
taking twice as long on any one job compared to not splitting, you do two jobs
at once.

If you prefer to download from mainly one group at a time, until it's finished,
then go to the next, configuring the heavy groups in two servers, then loading
the group in one and sorting it however you normally do and setting it to
download, then switching servers and setting it to the REVERSE and setting it
to download, can also be a good technique.  They meet somewhere in the middle
and only the few individual segments actually being already downloaded by the
one, when they meet and the other doesn't see they're being processed yet, get
downloaded twice.

--
Duncan
(news.gmane.org is having technical issues right now,