pan-users

[Pan-users] Searching headers problem

From: Molotov
Subject: [Pan-users] Searching headers problem
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:07:36 +0100

Hello everybody

I am using Pan since a few years, and I would like to say a big "thank
you" to the team. It is my first post on this list, I have tried the ML
archive, but I did not found the answer, so... here is the problem:

Searching headers is not working on my system. In fact, I see the
"sorting articles" (it is in french) task in the status bar, but nothing
happens. I can use the menus or read an article (I mean Pan doesn't
hang), but no matter how many hours I let it "work": I cannot do a
search...
I am using a Giganews account, so I have always a big number of headers.
For example, I tried to find the articles containing a word in the
subject line yesterday. There is still nothing. There are 1 200 000
headers on this group.

Sorting articles by name or author, for example, is slow, but works.
I am using a 2.6 kernel (mdk) on a 2.8 P4 with HT (smp kernel), with 1
gig RAM. I have tried to empty the cache, even uninstalling et removing
the .pan directory. Nothing...

Has anybody an idea of what to do ?
Does Pan use some kind of shared library for filtering articles, which
could have been broken on my system ?

Any advice is welcome. Sorry for my bad english. I apologize if I missed
some FAQ...

Have a good day

Francois