pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] connect to secure NNTP server?

From: Geoff Fox
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] connect to secure NNTP server?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:08:55 +0000

<x-tad-bigger>You need to use Stunnel. http://www.stunnel.org.
Stunnel encrypts tcp connections inside ssl.
Basically, you route all traffic through Stunnel.
HTH
</x-tad-bigger>

On 20 Nov 2004, at 11:07, Alan Cocks wrote:

I am failing to connect to a secure NNTP server

I cannot see any settings for ssl to be set to (on), although the port
number 563 is being entered ok

details:
====================================
to access the current support groups, use these settings, with a news
client that supports secure NNTP:
Server name: secnews.netscape.com
Port: 563
SSL: turn it on
====================================

tools|servers|
Server Name: secnews.netscape.com
Address: secnews.netscape.com
Port: 563
Connections: 4
Login - Server requires authn: (not enabled)
Newsrc - Use .newsrc file: (not enabled)

My Pan log
new connection 0x8331218 for secnews.netscape.com,port563
NNTP handshake failed: Error reading from socket
Handshake failed: Error reading from socket

I would appreciate any advice - I have concluded so far that pan does
not support the secure connection - is this correct please?
--
AlanC