pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Patch works! (was Re: Does Pan crash when you try to pos

From: Charlie Law
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Patch works! (was Re: Does Pan crash when you try to post a message without a body)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 22:52:33 +0000

On 02/02/2005 10:22:26 PM, Charlie Law wrote:
On 02/02/2005 09:53:29 PM, Charlie Law wrote:
O.K., I found the patch. I had truncated the url when I copied it into my browser.

I tried applying the patch but I'm getting an error. If I name the patch "gtk+.patch", what syntax would I use? I tried different -p options but nothing worked.

(Of course, it would help if I knew what I was doing, which I don't.)

The patch was so small that I just decided to patch the critical file (gtkdialog.c) by hand. I've got gtk+ 2.6.1 compiling now, with the patched file included. I'll post the results.

Good news. The patched and recompiled gtk+ 2.6.1 fixes the problem that some of us were having with long quoted replies in Pan. (I think there were some other, probably related problems, as well.)

The patch that Duncan referred to is at:

http://ftp.frugalware.org/pub/frugalware/frugalware-current/source/gnome/gtk+2/00-gtk+-2.6.1-gtk_dialog_map-do-not-loop-forever.patch

If you unpack the source tarball, you can just edit the /gtk/ gtkdialog.c file according to the slight changes listed in the text of the patch. Or you can apply the patch using patch (which I couldn't make work, for some reason). Then compile as you normally would.

Now another bug will probably pop up, but I'm just glad there're people like you folks who know how to swat them.

Thanks.