pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Trouble configuring Pan 0.11.4

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Trouble configuring Pan 0.11.4
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:42:47 -0700

Geek posted
<address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:18:30 -0800:

> I'm going to write a HOWTO on this (as far as my search goes, this is the
> first time it's been done on stable). What name and URL for you (unless
> you'd rather not) shall I include in the  credits?

I just go by "Duncan", generally.  I don't really have much of a web page,
as it seems newsgroups (and lists as newsgroups <g>) work better for me.
(I don't participate all that much in web forums, either.)  You could just
say "The Duncan from the pan-user list", if desired.  I'm not a coder yet
and may never be a good one, but it takes a lot more than coder
contributions to make the world of freedom software go round, and if I've
been effective at helping on the lists I've joined, that's motivation and
recognition enough for me, at this point.  So, yes, "The Duncan from pan's
user mailing list" seems quite appropriate.

> PS: Three years ago, it was a toss between Gentoo and Debian for this
> box. The package manager and the "apt" system broke the tie for me ;-)

Yes... and about a year ago I switched to Gentoo.. but would very possibly
have gone Debian if Gentoo wasn't there.  It's also possible my choice
would have been different if I didn't have a dual Opteron making quick
work of my compiles for me.  However, in that case, it's also more likely
I would have stayed on Mandrake, since Mandrake Cooker for x86 does stay
relatively current, while the lack of that trait on their amd64 Cooker was
the thing that got me looking elsewhere.  Still, I probably would have
ended up on Debian eventually, were it not for Gentoo, because there's
just something about a good community distribution, as opposed to a
commercial one.  I don't will the commercial ones any harm.  Far from it!
As long as they are supporting freedom software, I don't mind at all them
making money off it.  However, just as clearly as I now see I could have
never stayed comfortable on MSWormOS, due to the lack of freedom, I see
any commercial Linux distrib as a poor personal fit for me as well,
because they just don't have the community, nor can they, compared to a
true community driven distrib.  Both Debian and Gentoo are community
driven, and if the one hadn't been there, I'd very likely have ended up in
the other.

As for dependencies... fortunately... both Mandrake and Gentoo have been
very good with that, as is of course Debian.