pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: PayPal Notification: Upgrade your information

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: PayPal Notification: Upgrade your information
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 01:49:03 -0700

Travis posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:17:55 -0700:

It isn't, except that the phisher/spammer somehow got ahold of the PAN
mailing list address, and spammed the list.  (Perhaps your filters
killed the spam so you didn't see the original message?)  It has happened
to a couple other lists I'm on as well, a time or two in the last year.
I usually simply ignored it, as I had here, until this reply.

Note that here, I get the lists as newsgroups, using gmane, so any such
spam stands out like a sore thumb.  However, for anyone getting the lists
thru their regular mail account, who don't filter list messages into a
special list folder, it's possible some may not notice the mail came
thru the list, and it could appear to be legit, which is of course what
the phisher is hoping for.  Hopefully, users on this list are intelligent
enough to see the phishing attempt for what it is, but one never
knows...)