pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Threading problems with 0.95

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Threading problems with 0.95
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 23:48:27 -0500 (CDT)

>> I have noticed that if I post a follow-up to a post, then my post does
>> not thread up in pan 0.95 with the original post.  It starts a new
>> thread.  If I post a reply to a reply to my reply, my second reply
>> shows itself threaded under my original reply and not the person that
>> replied to me.
>>
>> What can I post that will help you troubleshoot this better?
>
> The groupname and message-ids of the posts.

For privacy, George sent me the Message-Ids offlist, but since the
thread is here I'll reply here.

The problem is that OE is posting broken Message-IDs.  The original
article reads like this:

RFC822 is pretty specific that a domain (the text between
the @ and the > in the Message-Id header) cannot end in a period.
Both Pan and KNode are using mime parsers that realize this and
strip out the offending period, so the Message-Id in the original
post differs from that in the followup's References: header.

There is no 'Right Thing' here, since Pan has to choose between
propagating a noncompliant header or to remove pieces from it.
IMO the stronger good is to preserve threading -- now if I can
just find a way to coax the broken Message-Id out of GMime... :)

Charles