pan-users

[Pan-users] Malformed From(?) header field causes aborting

From: Flammie Pirinen
Subject: [Pan-users] Malformed From(?) header field causes aborting
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 02:48:32 +0300

Hi,
I've found that downloading all messages from certain local,
Finnish groups (eg. sfnet.huuhaa) causes Pan to abort after assert
error:
pan: headers.cc:405: void pan::DataImpl::load_headers(const
pan::DataIO&, const pan::Quark&): Assertion `*s.str=='<'' failed.

Furthermore after the initial abort pan will always crash on startup, so
it seems that the broken header gets saved somewhere. Deleting .pan2
data will of course work it around.

I don't know if these problematic messages exist on foreign servers
anymore, but if someone can provide me a way to find them out and
distribute I can do it.

If the reason for this is malformed header at some point, it might be
possible that someone has tried to purposedly forge broken headers,
taken the troll situation here.

Sorry if the problem sounds vague again, but I don't unfortunately have
much time or skill for debugging right now.

Backtrace should be attached as usual.
--
Flammie, computer scientist-linguist B.Sc., Gentoo translator, and a
freak. <http://www.iki.fi/flammie//~tpirinen/disambiguation>