pan-users

[Pan-users] News-server ranking

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] News-server ranking
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 13:16:35 -0700

Hi Charles,

I like your idea of assigning each news server a numerical rank.
I've been editing my servers.xml to use that feature.

BUT -- my preferences for posting are very different from my
preferences for downloading.  I would never choose to post thru
my ISP's news server, but I assigned it a rank of 1 because my
downloads from that server are free and unlimited (unlike my
paid servers).

I would suggest an addition to the News Server dialog box which
would be similar to the way we can change the order of header
columns by moving them up or down on a list.  This would assign
a numerical rank to each server without the user even knowing
or caring about what the number is.

Of course, I would prefer a separate rank-order for posting and
downloading purposes -- including a check-box option for 'Never
Post Using This Server'.

Thanks!