pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: [0.99] Meaning of 'Expire old articles' ?

From: cav
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: [0.99] Meaning of 'Expire old articles' ?
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:44:22 -0700 (PDT)

> > From: "Duncan" <address@hidden>
> CC:
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 06:20:08 +0000 (UTC)
> Subject: [Pan-users] Re: [0.99] Meaning of 'Expire old articles' ?
>
> walt <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:34:54
> -0700:
>
> > Each server has an option named 'Expire old article' which may be set for
> > 1 month, 2 months, or 'never'.
> >
> > Does 'expiring' an article mean deleting an article if it no longer exists
> > on the server -- or deleting it even if it *does* still exist on the
> > server?
>
> I believe it means regardless of whether it exists on the server.

> pre-0.90 pan expired based on whether it was on the server or not -- only,
> altho you could set up filters and rules to expire stuff before it left
> the server or manually delete overviews, and you could copy posts off to
> local folders to prevent their expiration.  However, pre-0.90 pan was much
> more tied to individual servers than 0.90+.

> With the combined server viewpoint of 0.90+, there came a more
[snip]
> weeks or months.  Because the viewpoint is centralized, no longer server
> independent, expiring based on whether it's on the server or not makes
> little sense.

> Actually, expiring based on server at all makes little sense with the new
> viewpoint.  The idea would be to make that a per-group setting, and to let
[snip]

> Meanwhile, we don't yet have per-group settings for anything, it's all
> global or in the case of expiration settings, per server.  However, that's
> still ambiguous, because the behavior of a group carried on three servers,
> one set to one month retention, one to two months, and one to forever,
> isn't defined in any way clear to the user.  Will the messages in the
> group disappear at the end of a month, as the one server is set, or never,
> as the other, or at the two month compromise of the middle one?  Or will
> it depend on which server happens  to have been added first or last, or on
> which server gets updated first or last?

To me, it makes the most sense to expire the article when it dissappears from
all the servers, rather than keep an article header around when the article
itself is not retrievable (I deal with some servers that only have 1 week, or 2
week retentions, and it is an annoyance to always be trying to look at tons of
articles it cant get.. the "expire after X" should use days, rather than month)

I haven't really been paying attention to how the db is organizing the headers
now, but it seems to me, that each article would have a list of what it's
number is on each server, and pan should be able to keep track which server(s)
an article is still available on, and thus expire it when it is no longer
available anywhere.

cav