pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Posts disappearing

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Posts disappearing
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 20:26:27 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 03
Sep 2006 14:06:05 -0400:

>> The tabs are indeed a fine thing. Unfortunately, I can't offer anything in
>> return but praise; but this is meant to be read as a *lot* of that. There
>> have been times when I had as many as a dozen open, and always with great
>> success. Many, many thanks to the developers!

Is this from the pan list or did you reply here based on a problem
elsewhere and quote is from there?  As many as a dozen tabs open, in pan?
Not that I know of, so I'm assuming this was from the other group and
doesn't refer to pan, but it's confusing, regardless.

> I read a reply to a post of mine; moved to the next post and checked that;
> and started getting back to the previous, in order to ask a follow-up
> question.
>
> Suddenly I can't. Clicking back on it fails. Hitting enter after that
> fails. Going to another dillo post and then back fails both times. Even
> going to another gmane group and coming back to this one fails both times.

dillo?  I get it, the above happened in a dillo group, and the tabs refer
to dillo.  However, it's still somewhat disorienting to read about it
here. <g>

> The log shows things like this :
>
> address@hidden ~]$ cat PanTemp
> Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:46:39 - Loaded 5 articles for group "saved_posts" in 0.1
> seconds (82 art/sec)
> Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:46:39 - Scored 5 entries in 0.0 seconds (5000
> articles/sec)
> Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:46:39 - Saved 3269 articles in
> "gmane.comp.web.dillo.devel" in 0.1 seconds (30435 art/sec)
> Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:46:57 - Loaded 3269 articles for group
> "gmane.comp.web.dillo.devel" in 0.1 seconds (42898 art/sec)
> Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:46:57 - Scored 3269 entries in 0.0 seconds (113807
> articles/sec)
> Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:50:51 - Error reading file
> "/home/btth/.pan/messages/cache/address@hidden": Failed to open file
> '/home/btth/.pan/messages/cache/address@hidden': No such file or directory
> Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:50:51 - Error reading file
> "/home/btth/.pan/messages/cache/address@hidden": Failed to open file
> '/home/btth/.pan/messages/cache/address@hidden': No such file or directory
> address@hidden ~]$
>
> Wha hoppen?? Is it on my end??? Is it Adelphia the Utterly Abominable,
> acting up again, in some new nasty way?

You are still using 0.14.x according to your other post.  Please remember
to mention that.  Of course you know we are headed for 1.0, which makes it
confusing to see references to an old pan when it isn't mentioned.
Certainly, the posts are welcomed, don't quit posting them.  Just...
remind us what version you are using each time, so we don't get confused.
=8^)

Those errors tell the story.  Pan thinks the files should still be cached
but can't open them.  I suspect the problem with watch thread that you
mentioned is related. Fix one and you fix the other.

You mention trying another group and coming back.  You don't mention
quiting and restarting pan and trying it again.  Pan isn't acting right
in both this and the watch thread case.  It could be that the running image
in memory is corrupted and a restart will fix it.

If that doesn't fix it, manually check the cache and see if the file
referenced in the error is there, check its permissions, etc.  Something
strange is happening.  It could be file system corruption and/or failing
memory or hard disk.  Try a reboot and fsck the partition in question and
see if that helps.  Hopefully the problem goes away, as this type of
behavior is worrying, reminding me of some of the stuff that happened last
time I had a hard drive go out on me, or of when I've had CPU or memory
problems.