pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Cannot access message body

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Cannot access message body
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:56:11 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:34:21
+0000:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:29:40 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
>
>> I'm using pan version 0.14.2.91 and have been for a while.
>> Today for no reason that I can fathom, I could not display the bodies on
>> any messages, only the headers. I'm not familiar with settings so I may
>> have knocked something out unwittingly but I cannot see what that might
>> be.
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> First, I'll beat Duncan to the punch and ask that you turn off the html
> when posting here.  Thanks.
>
> I'm wondering if you recently upgraded some other part of your system
> which might have affected pan in some way.  I find it useful to start
> a misbehaving application on a command line because you may see error
> messages that go unseen when you just click an icon.

Of course I agree with all the parent wrote, including the no HTML request.

The first thing that came to my mind as well, was a system upgrade, or
malfunction, perhaps of GTK+, such that whatever widget that's used to
display the body isn't functional while the widget displaying the header
and group lists is.

Second thing to come to mind is that the old 0.14.x version you are
running is now basically abandonware -- the new pan, starting with 0.90,
is rewritten in C++.  There will be no more updates to the old C code
0.14.x series, which is now several years old and has a number of known
bugs and doesn't scale so well in large groups due to memory issues.  The
coming 1.0 will be the first stable version of the new code, altho the
current 0.119 is pretty good.  There are a lot of changes, however, and
it'll take some getting used to.  Anyway, while you may find and fix the
problem with your current version now, you'll probably at least wish to
consider upgrading to 1.0 when it comes out, as the old code will be
getting more and more stale and further behind over time.  That said, as
long as you can get it working again, there's no big hurry to upgrade,
certainly not before 1.0 stable comes out.

The command-line (well, terminal window, not from outside X) thing is what
I'd suggest as well. One thing old-pan had was a lot of good debugging
options.  Run it first as simply "pan" without options, and see if you get
an error to work with. If not, try pan --help and take a look at all the
debug options to try.

Gotta go to work now but hope you can find and fix the issue. =8^)