pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan Docs 070101

From: Mike
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan Docs 070101
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 06:34:53 +0000

On Friday 05 Jan 2007 22:55, Darren Albers wrote:
> think adding the is correct,

Naturally, I disagree.

> would you say the people in car or would
> you say the people in the car?

Unfortunately, the english language isn't that consistent. A car is an object,
Usenet isn't (that probably isn't the technically correct reason, but I'm no
professor of english). Let me put it this way, would you say: "people in
Birmingham" or "people in the Birmingham". To me, the latter would only make
sense if there's a river called the Birmingham river and you were referring
to them, rather than people in the city of Birmingham.

--
Mike