pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: An issue (can't remove task), and a question (edit scori

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: An issue (can't remove task), and a question (edit scoring rules)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 07:03:19 +0000 (UTC)

Geoff <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon,
08 Jan 2007 10:12:19 +0000:

> This had me baffled for a while.  I had already looked for something like
> a score text file and could not find one. It turns out that I had a News
> sub-directory in my home directory (I don't even recall creating it) and
> Pan had put the Score file there.

Ah...  Earlier in the series, Charles had pan creating the score file in
that location, so it could be shared by other news clients using the same
scorefile format.  It was discussed on the list and enough folks wanted it
in the same place as all the other files (~/.pan2/ by default) that Charles
moved it there by default, but to keep compatibility, if it finds it in
~/news/ it'll use that copy, thereby continuing to allow sharing with
other news clients if desired.

> Something else which does seem a little odd to me is that I can no longer
> find a way of setting a universal rule. Under 14.2 and predecessors, when
> I found a post with (eg "Sex movies") in the title I could set such a rule
> to govern all subscribed groups. It seems that now I have to do it
> relative to the group in which the post is found and if I use the most
> universal option ("Group Name Doesn't Contain"), then that group will be
> omitted even though this is where the offending post was first found. Is
> this deliberate? Am I missing something?

I posted the slrn scorefile doc link.  It explains it there, but
basically, old-pan took regular expressions in the newsgroup lines of the
scorefile (as well as the slrn wildcard style), while new-pan is stricter
slrn style.

* is the newsgroup wildcard (not the regex .*, as used in the other
matching conditions).  Thus, to match all groups, simply use * in the
newsgroup line (as entered in pan), or [*] if you are direct-editing the
scorefile.  For top-level hierarchies, use for example [alt.*] (line in
the file), to match a group name containing, use for instance [*binaries*].

Simple enough, eh?