pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: couple questions about beta release

From: mike dixon
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: couple questions about beta release
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 01:17:29 +0100

Apologies if this web mailer is incorrectly wrapping quoted text.

> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:20:10 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Duncan <address@hidden>
> Subject: [Pan-users] Re: couple questions about beta release
> To: address@hidden
>
> "mike dixon" <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on
> Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:06:00 +0100:
>
> "mike dixon" <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on
> Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:06:00 +0100:
>
> > I did a search of the archive but it's not too useful doing a search on
> > "find", but having used the old pan for many years and taking a look at
> > the new beta (r0.124), where is the exceptionally useful "find" panel?  Is
> > there some preference I'm not seeing that I need to enable?
>
> It's still there, but moved. =8^)  Look in the main toolbar at the top,
> now.  There are two text entry fields, one for the group pane and another
> for the header/overview pane.  (Also note that the overview pane one has a
> dropdown listing a few other things you can search on.)

Interesting - nothing there.  I have menubar above toolbar and then the 3 tabs
(I have view tabs selected but no text entry fields show whether they're
enabled or not and regardless of which prefs layout I use).  menu/toolbar are
solid across their width (I maximized at 1600 thinking maybe they were far off
to the right for some reason).

I do get this error when I start pan beta but frequently see this msg w/other
apps with no seemingly ill effect so have always just ignored it:

(pan2_bin:10797): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtktoolbar.c: line 2591
(gtk_toolbar_get_item_index): assertion `GTK_IS_TOOLBAR (toolbar)' failed

(pan2_bin:10797): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtktoolbar.c: line 2559
(gtk_toolbar_insert): assertion `GTK_IS_TOOLBAR (toolbar)' failed

After your instruction this second msg appears to mean business and is why I
don't see the text entry boxes :)  Everything else looks fine (the old pan
doesn't generate this msg).

No matter.  I happen to be upgrading the OS in a few days and suspect the age
of my last install is causing the problem here; now that I know it/they are
still there I'm sure the OS upgrade will solve it.

> > I know these guys have/had a ton of work and the performance improvements
> > are staggering, so thanks for that but am just curious if these two most
> > useful things are still in pan somewhere (especially the "find" panel).
>
> We all appreciate the hard work Charles has put in. =8^)  No pressure but
> it's worth mentioning the tip jar on pan.rebelbase.com once again.

I didn't see that but will be making a donation.  As I said, I've been using
the last-released pan for many years and the responsiveness and capability of
these betas over that last release is remarkable - they/him have done an
amazing piece of work here.

Search for products and services at:
http://search.mail.com