pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: [0.127] yenc decoding bug?

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: [0.127] yenc decoding bug?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 05:49:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 03:21:47 +0000, SciFi wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 01:06:17 +0000, walt wrote:
>> ...I notice that the new Save As :: Actions drop-down menu includes
>> three choices rather than two -- the
>> third choice being one that I personally would never use under any
>> condition I can think of at the moment:  'Save Attachments & Text'.
>>
>> Charles, was there a request for that third combined option?  I'm
>> curious to know why someone would need it.

> fwiw that third option was ‘the’ one way to possibly work around the
> utf8 problems we were having in bug #424381.  I definitely say we need
> to keep that option – we could try feeding the post into external utils
> such as uudeview for processing in case we get stuck again for any
> reason.

As long as I'm making demands on poor Charles:  for similar reasons I'd
like to be able to display the 'Uncooked' post with the Ctrl-U command
as implemented in the mozilla family of programs.

> What’s more, it’d be even better to have a “Save as-is” option to write
> the post exactly to a file without /any/ processing whatsoever
> /including/ charset translations & MIME separators etc. i.e. exactly as
> fetched from the NNTP server in its entirety. Caching (saving each post
> separately into the article-cache) would involve knowing how to locate
> the Message-ID, and you’d need to do so one message-post at a time…
> “Save as-is” could write the whole thread of posts in chained order for
> cases that need to feed them into third-party (external to pan2) utils,
> say for ex. yet another new encoding scheme that replaces
> yEnc/uuencode/MIME/etc.

+1 from me.  (Sorry to be piling on, Charles, but I like the idea :o)

> (p.s. I’m using this post to test typographic characters, in case it
> looks strange on your ends ;) )

Just FYI, the open-quote chars you are using are rendered correctly in
Thunderbird, but are instead rendered as close-quote chars in pan.

I'd welcome any blows from the clue-stick about this difference ;o)