pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How to reorder subscribed groups list in pan2

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How to reorder subscribed groups list in pan2
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 18:13:01 +0000 (UTC)

Dave Chand <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on
Tue, 01 May 2007 11:47:04 -0400:

> I believe this question has been answer before, but I could not find the
> answer.
> I would like to arrange the subscribed group list in pan2 manually, how
> would I go about accomplishing this? Apparently the groups are arranged
> in alphabetical order, but I would like to, instead, arrange them in the
> order of their importance to me.

I don't recall seeing the question addressed.  Many people ask for
additional nesting, so all groups of a particular type can be grouped
together while collapsing the other groups (not directly possible ATM,
but using the PAN_HOME environmental variable to point pan at different
configs, one for each grouping, works), but I don't believe I've seen
group list reordering, outside of categories, asked for before.

I don't believe there's a direct GUI method of rearranging the groups.
As mentioned, you can run multiple pan sessions, with different groups in
each session, thereby breaking down the big list into something more
easily handled, if desired.  That's what I do.

Others make heavy use of the group name search box to limit the number of
groups shown at any one time.  That's not my style for subscribed groups,
tho it works well when I'm looking for a new group, but if it works for
them...

I've not tried it, but I could /speculate/ that if you edit some of pan's
config files directly reordering the groups there, that might work, at
least until the next time you update your group list or whatever.  I
couldn't tell you which ones, but I can say that's what I'd try, if I had
a burning desire to reorder the group list, only the separate pan
instances thing works well enough for me, so no such burning desire here.