pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: "MySQL Backend?"

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: "MySQL Backend?"
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 00:53:22 +0200

On Sat 12 May 2007 at 03:42:51 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> I'm not exactly sure why Charles decided /not/ to go that
> route with the rewrite,

Some time ago I compared some indexers and databases and database-like
systems for some text retrieval system I was going to make on top of
them. It turned out that systems based on databases were by far the
slowest and systems based on custom data structures by far the fastest.
We're talking orders of magnitude of difference, such that using
something like an index based on PostgreSQL (reputedly a very good SQL
database) was absolutely unusable (took over a day to process my test
set while grinding the disk to death, then I terminated it), where an
indexer with completely custom structures did the work in a not so large
number of minutes. It is obvious what I chose after that experiment.

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.