pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: crash == won't start up

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: crash == won't start up
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 09:58:45 +0000 (UTC)

"Kevin Brammer" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Tue, 05 Feb 2008 19:07:53 -1000:

> Has anyone ever closed PAN with active tasks running, and when you go to
> restart PAN you get:
>
> pan: parts.cc:244: void pan::Parts::set_parts(const pan::PartBatch&):
> Assertion `pch == part_mid_buf + part_mid_buf_len' failed. Aborted
>
> Can't restart PAN now.  :-\

It's probably a corrupted file somewhere in pan's data dir (~/.pan2 by
default, on new-pan, post 0.90).  As a test, with pan not running (duh,
it won't stay running, so that's not a problem at this  point), move it
elsewhere (say to .pan2.bak) and start pan and see if it starts.  Of
course, you'll lose your config that way, but if it starts, with pan
again not running (it'll presumably stay running now but without any
servers or other config), copy some of the config back, try
preferences.xml and etc first, and try again.  By process of elimination
you can probably narrow it down to a single file, and then depending on
the file, maybe a single line in the file (or if it's a bunch of binary
gibberish in an ordinary text file, well, you know where the corruption
is), if desired.  That way you get to keep most of your config, and only
have to redo a bit.

Or just delete the config and start over, if you don't customize stuff
much.  I'm a serious customizer, so hate losing possibly significant
hours of config time and thus tend to prefer finding the problem and
having to redo as little of my previous work as possible.