pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: 'Old' Pan for PCLinuxOS?

From: Maurice
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: 'Old' Pan for PCLinuxOS?
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:07:01 +0000

On Friday 15 February 2008 18:23:15 Duncan wrote:

> Interesting.  So all you needed was an rpm handler?  I thought pclinuxos
> was based on mandr(ake|iva), and thus rpm based already, and that it
> followed that it had rpm handling built-in?  Is that incorrect?

   Not really. It does have RPM, but for some reason  'rpm -i <package>'
caused "Cannot obtain lock" errors. Nothing to do with dependencies.

  Mandriva has URPMI.  PCLinuxOS has KPackage (which hooks into Konqueror).

  Using Kpackage with an RPM just sails through...

> Or maybe you just didn't know how to use the CLI rpm command and needed a
> point and click GUI.

   Not true -  but GUI avoids having to type in (or copy) great wadges of file
address.

> Anyway, what I expected was wrong was that the rpm was listing
> dependencies

  Well, there was a dependency, which I knew about, but I couldn't install the
required RPM to satisfy it! The problem was I didn't have KPackage...

--
/\/\aurice

     http://www.maurice99.ukfsn.org