pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: this function should not be called

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: this function should not be called
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 01:22:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:59:25 +0100, Rhialto wrote:

> If I run Pan 0.132 from an xterm, so that I can see its output, I get
> many many many messages, all saying
>
> (pan:13156): GLib-GRegex-WARNING **: pcre_valid_utf8.c:11: this function
> should not be called
>
> Any idea what's going on? I have glib-1.2.10nb10 (nb10 is the revision
> number in pkgsrc, on top of the base version).

Pan uses gtk2, which goes with glib2 and not glib.  But that's not
important now.  (My favorite line from the movie "Airplane".)

Here is the entire pcre_valid_utf8.c, which is part of the glib2 sources:
#include "pcre_internal.h"

/*
 * This function is not needed by GRegex, so print an error and
 * return always -1, that is the string is a valid UTF-8 encoded
 * string.
 */
int
_pcre_valid_utf8(const uschar *string, int length)
{
g_warning ("%s: this function should not be called", G_STRLOC);
return -1;
}

That's it.  The entire purpose of that file is to print a warning.
This seems to be merely a debugging message to flag any remaining
uses of an unneeded function, and thus of interest only to glib2
developers.

In other words, you should ignore it unless it makes you crazy, in
which case you should file a bug report against glib2  :o)