pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 'hundreds' of strange extracted file when downloadingmul

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 'hundreds' of strange extracted file when downloadingmultipart messages
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:01:25 +0000 (UTC)

Travis <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 24
Apr 2008 06:57:44 -0700:

Travis is correct, depending on where you are looking, but here's a
somewhat more detailed explanation.

Pan saves messages using the (sanitized to filesystem safe) Message-ID,
which according to the RFCs should be globally unique -- there should
never be two different messages anywhere in the world at any time with
the same Message-ID.

Different news clients (and original posting servers, if the news client
doesn't supply its own) use different algorithms to come up with the
Message-ID, however.  Many use some form of a combination of from address
(either the poster's, or the posting server's) to hopefully keep
collisions in "space" from occurring, timestamp, to keep collisions in
time from occurring, and random number, just in case, but it's up to the
implementation exactly what they use, as long as it's unique.

That's why the message files appear to have such strange names -- they
are based on the Message-ID, which isn't standardized except in the
characters it may contain and that it must be unique, and isn't really
designed for file-naming, the use to which pan puts it.  Pan uses the
Message-ID as a filename, however, in ordered to help keep things
straight, since it's unique to the message and pan is designed to be able
to track and know when it has already downloaded the same message across
multiple servers.  (The other form of message numbering, normally
sequential by group, is server-specific, and therefore won't help
tracking messages between servers.)

All that said, normally, the only place these filenames appear is in
pan's cache, which by default is pretty small, 10 MB. (The cache can be
set larger manually, by editing preferences.xml in pan's settings dir
directly. I run a multi-gigabyte cache, save to cache, and then sort and
save off messages from there after they are all stored in local cache.)
Since pan handles its cache automatically, you'll not normally see these
files unless you go manually trawling thru the cache.

However, if as Travis suggested, if you tell pan to save the text message
itself, not just attachments, it'll save this more or less raw text
message.  This is nice if you want to save a text message, tho you may
want to rename it to something more appropriate (say the subject)
afterward.  I do this from time to time.  It's also useful on "broken"
attachments that pan can't properly save on its own, however, as it may
be possible to recover the attachment using other tools designed to deal
for the purpose.  I do this too, occasionally.

So basically, if you are telling pan to save the text message not just
the attachments, you'll get these wherever you have pan saving its
messages.  Tell it to save attachments only, and you'll not have to worry
about them.  Or, if you are examining pan's cache, don't worry about it,
as pan should manage them on its own unless you've deliberately set it up
to handle manually, as I have.