pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: [Pan 0.133-Windows] Drops server

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: [Pan 0.133-Windows] Drops server
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:00:47 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 28 Sep 2008 15:17:06
+0000:

> It was easy to eliminate the extra newline above the sig, but I notice
> now that pan leaves too many blank line above my reply, at least for my
> personal taste.

The sig "standard" says dash dash space (do NOT forget or strip the
trailing space, as MSOE at least /used/ to do in some modes... namely
quoted-printable, since there a line must-not end with a space... but QP /
does/ have a way to make it appear as a trailing space by ending with an
escape sequence, but of course that wouldn't be a dash dash space on its
own line if the QP was presented raw... so I see their quandary...
because the trailing space stripper was applied after the sig inserter
and they didn't make it intelligent enough to insert the escape sequence
after the space instead of removing it)  on its own line, but I'm not
sure whether there has to be a previous blank line before it or whether
it just looks better that way, but that's what pan intends, a single
blank line between the new content and the sig delimiter.

Actually, I just noticed another differing behaviour to think about...

If one selects text in ordered to quote only it in the reply, pan does
one thing, five blank lines between end of quote and sig, insertion point
on the /second/, so there's just one blank line separating the new
content and the quote, looks good, but then three blank lines separating
the new content and the sig which isn't so good.  If one simply hits
reply without a selection, it's reversed.  There's still five blank
lines, but now the insertion point is on the /fourth/ blank line, so
there's three above it, bad, but only one below, which is fine.

So it looks to me like Charles was inserted blank lines to fix a bug of
/no/ blank lines before or after the insertion point line, but those
could be removed if the real bug, the differing behaviour if one selects
to quote vs simply quoting the entire thing.  In both cases there's five
blank lines total where there should be three (with the new content on
the middle one leaving one before and one after), but insertion point
changes from OK at the top to OK at the bottom, depending on select to
quote or not.  That would seem to me to be the real bug.

But I hadn't noticed that difference until your comment lead me to see if
it changed...  Maybe Charles hasn't figured out what causes the change
either, and just inserted blank lines until it had at least one both
before and after as a way to make it at least not leave /none/ in some
cases.