pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Automatically check NGs, and issue command?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Automatically check NGs, and issue command?
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 07:27:17 +0000 (UTC)

"Joshua McGee" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Sat, 08 Nov 2008 19:20:31 -0800:

> New here, patience appreciated.  I love Pan.
>
> Is it possible to (natively) have Pan check newsgroups on a specified
> interval and issue a system command, such as send an email or play a
> sound?

Not natively, no.  Pan does have limited automatic header and nzb
download that can be scripted from the command line, and automated
message download (or mark-read/delete) based on score is planned but not
yet implemented.  Thus, it can't even be setup as a cron job or the like,
beyond simply fetching headers.

For such "advanced" usage, the recommendation has always been to run your
own local news server, configure it to do the scheduled fetching and to
listen for client connections on localhost, and then point pan at the
news server running on localhost.  Since everything would already be
local by the time you looked at it from pan, pan would "download" over
the loopback interface and save very fast.