pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: update on freeze, high CPU getting new headers: GNOME!

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: update on freeze, high CPU getting new headers: GNOME!
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:10:24 +0000 (UTC)

David Shochat <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 20 Nov 2008
06:25:19 -0500:

>> So... you folks having this problem, check which versions of gmime you
>> have installed,
> address@hidden:/usr/lib$ ls libgmime*
> libgmime-2.0.a   libgmime-2.0.so    libgmime-2.0.so.2.2.21
> libgmime-2.0.la  libgmime-2.0.so.2

An ls -l might have been better, as it would have clarified where the
symlinks are pointing (the two short *.so* entries are probably symlinks
pointing at the longer one).

FWIW, *.so files are shared-objects, think dynamic link library, dll, if
you are familiar with MS platforms.  The *.a file is a library archive,
for static linking (built into the executable itself, not shared).  And
the *.la is a text-based libtool helper file.

>> and which versions pan and gnome depend on.
> address@hidden:/usr/local/bin$ ldd pan | grep libgmime
>     libgmime-2.0.so.2 => /usr/lib/libgmime-2.0.so.2 (0xb79c6000)

> Not sure what to check for gnome, but apparently, I only have 2.0 on my
> system anyway. And note that pan works fine (for me) under kde as well
> as under xfce.

No, that's going to be gmime version 2.2.21.  The 2.0 rather indicates
the major version, libgmime2, as some distributions would package it,
with an ancient libgmime (with associated 1.0.so* files) likely also
available (well, at least during the transition, maybe not any longer),
for GTK1/GNOME1 apps, should there still be any available, to use.

As you see, interpreting filenames to get library versions is rather a
learned skill. =;^)

But regardless, you only have 2.2.21 installed ATM, so unless you
actually uninstalled GNOME, it must use the 2.2.21 version as well, and
my hypothesis has been disproven.  It was a bit wild anyway, but I
thought just maybe...