pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: setting PAN_HOME *does* work; moving doesnt

From: Beso
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: setting PAN_HOME *does* work; moving doesnt
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:08:00 +0000

2008/11/27 Michel Doodeman <address@hidden>:
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:50:52 +0000
>> From: Beso <address@hidden>
>> Subject: Re: [Pan-users] setting PAN_HOME doesnt work
>> To: address@hidden
>>
>> 2008/11/26 Michel Doodeman <address@hidden>:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > As can be read in the subject: I have a question about the Pan settings
>> > variable because it fails me. I just cannot get it to work. If I set it to
>> > whatever directory, e.g. with 'export PAN_HOME=/home/ice/.pan300' (and the
>> > directory is present indeed), Pan still wants me to add servers from
>> > scratch after launching. I echoed the environment to verify its value.
>> >
>> > So in other words, it does not read the alternative path in which settings
>> > can be found. Am I overlooking something?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> >
>> how do you start pan? you should start it from the shell in which you
>> set the export or set the pan home as env variable.
>> else it will apply only to the shell session in which you lauched the export.
>
> Ah yes. That does the trick indeed. What I did was exporting the path, then
> starting it from menu. The original ~/.pan2 was differently renamed. So
> logically Pan prompted me to add servers. This brings me to another point:
>
> If Pan has been configured and its settings are stored to ~/.pan2 and you
> then export PAN_HOME to e.g. ~/.pan300 and start pan, all groups disappeared.
> Both 'subscribed' and 'other'. If I refresh the grouplist I can see the
> newsgroups I once was subscribed to, displayed again. In bold, under the
> 'other groups'.
> When I exit, again all groups disappeared from the list. I assume this
> shouldnt happen.

copying over the .pan2 contents into the new location should be enough.
for example if you use it with the same user just doing a cp -a
~/.pan2/* ~/.pan300/ would do a copy of the old .pan2 working dir in
the new location. under the groups directory you should have a list of
groups, which are the actual subscribed groups and that contain
the articles fetched in them.  at every restart pan should be able to
read the contents of these files and understand that they're
subscribed groups. from your description it seems that he recognizes
that he has articles fetched in these groups (the bold usually means
that there are new articles inside the groups) but doesn't recognize
that you've subscribed them. try lookin in the left pane (the group
one) as you should be able to filter by macro categories (subscribed
and other groups). after subscribing one group usually pan moves the
group from the other groups grouping to the subscribed one.

but i've also noticed a strange thing: for some reason when i try to
copy the .pan2 folder of another user this ends to be broken. pan
isn't able to read the data stored in the folder from the other user.
and the contents of the files inside pan2 directory has exactly the
same format and intestation. on this issue, if this would apply to
you, i call out duncan as i think he might be able to figure out
something of his bigger knowledge about this project.

--
dott. ing. beso