pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Does "Mark selected groups read" mark by possession or b

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Does "Mark selected groups read" mark by possession or by time?
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 07:37:48 +0000 (UTC)

PsiStormYamato <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 19 Dec 2008
22:08:05 -0500:

> Duncan wrote:
>> The alternative I use instead is to select-all-articles, then mark
>> selected as read.
> It's too bad that ctrl+D and M are on opposing sides of the keyboard,
> but ctrl+D and 1 context menu is fast enough for me.

The hotkeys are remappable, you know...  When pan starts it loads it's
keyboard accel mapping from accels.txt, if it exists.  When it exits, it
dumps them there.

There's a togglable GTK function (I forgot what it is now, it's
Googlable... with references pointing to this list, IIRC) that allows
hovering over a menu entry and typing a key combo to remap it to that
function (or hit delete to delete the current mapping), but I've not used
that in years.

Instead, I copied the accels.txt file and edited it to create a mapping
scheme that made sense to me, as well as reordering the (otherwise
scrambled) entries into menu order so I could find them.  When I want to
change the mapping, I make the changes to that file, then with pan
closed, copy it back over the active accels.txt file.  (For individual
remappings, you can simply edit it in place, using your text editor's
find function to find the pan function you want to remap.  However, pan
re-scrambles the file every time it saves it, so if you want to reorder
it and/or make more than a handful of changes, making the changes in a
copy and then copying it back over the original is the way to go.

In the file, a leading semicolon on a line indicates a comment; blank
lines are ignored, and the default accels are all commented out, so
everything will be commented when you first look at the file.

If you'd like, I can post my pre-sorted version.  You can either use my
scheme or simply use my sorting as a starting point to your own scheme.
(In my scheme, a=article, t=thread, g=group, unmodified X (where X is one
of a,t,g) is next X, alt-X is next unread X, shift-X is previous X, etc.
f=followup and some similar accels remain the same, m=mark-read, shift-
m=mark-unread, and three-mod (ctrl-alt-shift-X) opens a dialog or window,
l=log-viewer, t=task-manager, n=news-server, p=posting-profile, etc.)
Hey, it seemed more logical and made more sense to me! =:^)

> Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Not a problem!  I've a bit of a reputation for such loonnngg but deep
explanations.  =:^)