pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: posting binaries

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: posting binaries
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 01:35:18 +0000 (UTC)

jaucar <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 27 Dec
2008 01:33:35 +0100:

> I cannot send binary enclosed files with Pan. I suppose that it is not
> contemplated. Can one make somehow?
> Is there intention in the future of implementing the option of sending
> enclosed files to the style of Xnews?

It's the intention, yes.  There was, some years ago, even a file picker
GUI in one of the betas.  Unfortunately Charles decided to pull it as he
wasn't satisfied with a "trivial" single-part posting mechanism (which it
would have been at that point), and wanted a nice fancy multi-part
poster, etc.  Only the code for that somehow has never gotten written...
IMO it would have been better to go with the trivial single-part
attachment code and have it all these years, than not have any.  At least
that would have taken care of some cases, and the below would have
continued to work for the big-volume poster.

For big-volume posts, the recommendation has always been newspost.  It
was designed for batch-posting and the like and handles it well, tho it's
a bit long in the tooth now as it only handles PAR-1 IIRC and doesn't
handle some of the other "recent" binary advances, at least automatically.

For trivial single-shot single-part binaries, one can either use another
client (such as knode) which handles attachments, or... you can still use
pan to do attachments the old fashioned way... manually encode them
(using uuencode or yencode or uuenview or whatever), then copy and paste
the resulting encoded text into pan.  Unfortunately it only takes UUE
format, as the editor won't handle the near-binary of yenc (the widget
pan uses enforces UTF-8 natively, or some such, then converts it to
whatever character encoding before send, and yenc isn't legal utf-8) and
there's no way to access the headers, etc, to create a properly formated
MIME/base-64 post.

I did, however, create a script-based pan attachment helper, that plugs
in using pan's "external editor" feature.  The idea is to download the
script, then setup pan's external editor functionality to point to it.
You can then hit the external editor button, and the script will take
over from there.

There's actually a couple versions of the script, pan-attach and pan-
attach-kd.  The former is extremely rough, so much so that I had trouble
using my own creation, but it was designed as a proof of concept, hoping
someone else would take the concept and run with it.  It's still
available because it only requires pan, bash, and uuenview (from the
uudeview package to do the actual encoding), while the -kd version also
requires kdialog, part of kdebase (at least the 3.x version, I'm not sure
about 4.x).

When nobody ever stepped up to provide a proper front-end, I eventually
created pan-attach-kd, which is MUCH more friendly if still a bit rigid
and awkward.  It uses kdialog to create dialog boxes for the file picker
and etc.  I never got any feedback on the original, probably because it
was simply too difficult to use.  However, several folks responded
favorably to pan-attach-kd when I announced it, and apparently still use
it, as I do, for my occasional trivial attachments.  I should update it
someday using some of the suggestions I got, and check into whether it
works with KDE4, which I've yet to upgrade to, as well.

Here's my site.  Nothing to brag about but you'll find both pan-attach
and pan-attach-kd there, if you want to check them out.  I should update
it too... =:^)

http://members.cox.net/pu61ic.1inux.dunc4n/