pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Trying to filer out cross posting in Pan 0.132

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Trying to filer out cross posting in Pan 0.132
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 10:05:13 +0000 (UTC)

"Jonathan D. Armendariz"
<address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 28 Feb 2009
17:41:42 -0800:

> Hello,
>
> I had unfortunately lost my backup which had my score file I used to
> filter out cross posting. I did set it up initially by adding a scoring
> rule. Below is a copy of what it looks like:
>
> Score:: =-9999
>
> As you can see from the above I am trying to kill off any articles that
> cross-post to 2 or more groups and filtering out known sources of Usenet
> spam. For some reason it's not doing this so I am wondering where I went
> wrong and am wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to properly set
> this up? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

It looks generally correct, but...

First observation, maybe you have it in the scorefile and just skipped
posting it, but in just what you posted, there's no section header, aka
newsgroups line.  If you want it to apply to all groups, try simply

[*] or [*.*]

(Remember that the newsgroups line, aka section header, is NOT a regex,
but a * wildcard expression.)

Second, you say it's not working, but don't mention /what/ isn't
working.  The entire score?  Just the cross-posting part?  Just the
Message-ids?  Just one of the Message-ids?

Assuming it's the entire thing not working (and that the score is in an
appropriately labeled section as above), I'd suggest commenting (with an
initial % char) all but one test, probably the cross-posting test, and
get that working first.  Then you can uncomment the others, one at a time
if need be, and get them working too.

Third, this one is trivial, but for those message-id lines, you most
likely want \. where you have . as a regex . matches any-char, and you're
wanting to match a literal . .

Fourth, I can't explain why your xref/xpost match isn't working (assuming
it's not simply a missing section header aka newsgroups line), but it
does look a bit more complex than necessary.  You're matching two colons,
right?  What about this?

or to ensure at least one character between the colons

Fifth, I never remember whether : is a metachar or not.  Thus, I'd
suggest trying it with the escaped \: instead of just : , just in case.

Sixth, did you try {2,} in case the implementation is sensitive to that?