pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan v0.14.2.91 keeps adding removed newsgroups i

From: Phillip Pi
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan v0.14.2.91 keeps adding removed newsgroups into my .newsrc.
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 23:45:36 -0700

> The key to understanding what's going on here is to realize that while
> old-pan /sort/ of supported newsrc files, that wasn't its main record of
> things -- it had its own database format and basically only exported to
> newsrc files so it could work cooperatively with other news clients.
> Thus, it's seeing the data in the newsrcs and using that to update its
> own database, then exporting the combined information back to the newsrc
> files when it is closed.
>
> What you have to do is unsubscribe from the groups in question from
> inside pan, then immediately close pan, and it should take.  You can then
> open the newsrcs manually (or using tin may work as well, I don't use it
> so don't know) and delete the old group information if desired.  If you
> do so you should probably do the same thing to the pan record, or, while
> it shouldn't resubscribe them, it'll probably put the record back of the
> messages you had read when it closes again.
>
> I know you have reasons to use old-pan instead of new-pan and I respect
> that.  However, it is worth pointing out that new-pan uses the newsrc
> files directly -- tho it stores other non-newsrc info in other files
> too.  Since new-pan uses the newsrc files directly, it shouldn't have
> this issue.  The one caveat there would be if you have multiple servers,
> since the newsrc format apparently has no provision for that.  Thus,
> new-pan uses multiple newsrcs, identified by number rather than server
> name, and if you were to try sharing them, you'd need to ensure that you
> configured each client (by hand) to point at the same newsrc for the same
> server, or there'd be chaos.

Oh wow. Pan has ~/.newsrc support now? I remember v0.106 didn't have it
from my old post in 2006:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/2006-08/msg00042.html ...

Has Pan fixed issues like highlighing newsgroups and download new
headers as shown in my old 2006 posts:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/2006-08/msg00048.html ?

Thank you in advance. :)