pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan marks all new messages as read

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan marks all new messages as read
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 04:42:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 00:27:06 -0400, nate wrote:

> When Pan starts up, it loads some new messages into my subscribed
> newsgroups. When I view the messages in one of those newsgroups, all the
> messages that should be marked as unread are marked as read! I have
> recently switched to a new news server, and have never had this problem
> before that change. I've looked through all of Pan's settings, and can't
> find anything that would cause this. How do I fix this?

Occasionally I see this on gmane (where I read this list) - the problem
is that sometimes the news server gives you the incorrect high message
indicator.

The temporary fix to this is to edit the newsrc file that the group is in
- that will be in the ~/.pan2 directory by default.  What I do is just
edit the file and reset the message range for the group in question to
something like 1-1.  Do this while Pan is shut down, and then restart it
and you should be fine.

When I usually see this, it's because I'm doing a "mark all messages as
read" before moving to the next group - that seems to trigger it more
often than not.

Jim
--
 Jim Henderson