pan-users

[Pan-users] OT: calling all old-timers -- using * for attributions

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: [Pan-users] OT: calling all old-timers -- using * for attributions
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 14:49:40 +1100

Forgive the off-topic post, but over on a newsgroup I frequent, one of
the old-timers made a claim that "*" was frequently used for
attributions back in the Good Old Days before the current crop
of "lesser quality" newsreaders. Instead of:

On Tuesday November 3 2009, Fred said:
> blah blah blah

this poster uses:

* Fred:
> blah blah blah

and claims it is "clearer".

I can't say I've ever seen this, but I've only been using Usenet for
15-odd years, so not an old-timer. Any old-timers ever seen this and
like to comment?

--
Steven D'Aprano